Here’s my tangy interpretation of the popular Indian Poha – a super-light, fluffy and healthy winner for all those of you watching your Weight. And it’s easily digestible and keeps you full longer so I think it’s a great option for Breakfast. But if you’re not a heavy eater then it can double up really well as an Office Lunch too.
What You Will Need?
1. Rice Flakes – 2 Cups
2. Boiled Medium Potato – 1 No, Cut Into Pieces
3. Medium Onion – 1 No, Thinly Sliced
4. Green Chillies – 2 Nos, Slit
5. Brown Mustard Seeds – 1 Teaspoon
6. Curry Leaves – 8-10 Nos
7. Sugar – 2 Teaspoons
8. Fresh Lemon Juice – 40 ml or about 4 Tablespoons
9. Coriander Leaves – As Required
10. Turmeric Powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
11. Salt – To Taste
12. Oil – About 2 Tablespoons
How To Make It?
- Wash the Rice Flakes and squeeze out the water
- Mix the Lemon Juice and Sugar well and pour it on to the Rice Flakes. Mix well and , spread it on a flat surface to soak in the marinade
- Heat the Oil in a frying pan
- Add in the Brown Mustard Seeds, Curry Leaves and slit Green Chillies.
- Once the Seeds start to crackle and pop, then add in the Onions.
- Fry the Onions until they turn translucent and then add in the Potatoes and a little Salt. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Check on the Rice Flakes now. They should be slightly dry enough and not sticky to the touch
- Add in the Rice Flakes to the mixture in the frying pan.
- Add in the Turmeric Powder and salt to taste, all the while mixing well but making sure that the Rice Flakes are not mashed.
- Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now turn off the gas and leave the Poha to release steam and cool down
- Garnish with a few drops of Fresh Lemon Juice and Coriander Leaves
My personal favourite is this Tangy Poha served with crisp Brown Toast and a tall glass of Salted Buttermilk. Yum!!!
This Recipe originally appeared on www.muncheeys.com and has been reproduced here with the permission of the Author.