Health Benefits Of Quinoa
The new blurb of including the “healthy” quinoa in our diets is everywhere on the internet but we can’t do so without knowing all about it! So here are a few important facts that we need to know about this power-packed seed. Quinoa is a flowering plant in the amaranth family. It is a grain-like seed, with many health benefits.
- Quinoa has nine essential amino acids that our body needs for muscle building.
- It is loaded with minerals like magnesium, manganese, calcium, potassium, and iron, copper, zinc to name a few. These are present in quinoa in higher amounts as compared to wheat or barley.
- The good news is that quinoa contains fiber which is essential for digestion and gut health which is required for a healthy colon.
- Quinoa, although has lesser starch compared to rice but tastes quite similar to rice and can be used in sweet or savory dishes.
- Additionally, it is easy to cook and many recipe variations like quinoa upma/idli, quinoa pulav, quinoa cookies etc can be made and customized to suit our taste buds.
Can you lose weight with quinoa? Well, there is no such study done on quinoa and weight loss but it can definitely be used in healthy diet plans for weight management to reap its benefits. It makes a great low-calorie healthy meal. With the recent popularity of gluten-free diets, quinoa is recommended as a good alternative.
Moreover, quinoa is versatile in nature. It can be used as a breakfast preparation or can be added to vegetables or chicken and used as a lunch or a dinner food item or can be used in baking cookies or muffins. Many recipes are available on the internet; it’s up to us to make the best use of it!