As a fitness professional, I highly recommend that everyone needs to make exercise a part of their lifestyle. Always remember that some activity is better than nothing at all. We should set an ideal goal of 150 minutes of exercise/week. You can break that into 4-5 sessions where each session lasts for 30-40 minutes. These 30 to 40 minutes per day can also be broken down and spread across the day as 15 minutes of exercise done twice or thrice.
A very important thing to consider is, choose an exercise you love to do. This will keep you glued to it and you will easily follow it through the week. It can be dance, running, Zumba, yoga, gym, etc. Just anything you love. Increase your workout intensity by duration or resistance gradually, when you feel you are ready for next level.
So why am I stressing on exercising regularly? Because whether you believe it or not but exercise can do wonders to your body. It helps in preventing major health-related issues and keeps you going for long. Here are 6 reasons that will definitely convince you to make exercise a part of your life.
- Stronger Heart: Regular physical activity helps in preventing heart disease and stroke by strengthening your heart muscle. It also helps in lowering your blood pressure, raising your HDL levels (good cholesterol) & lowering LDL levels (bad cholesterol) and improving blood flow.
- Lowers Risk Of Cancer: As per the National Cancer Institute and Cancer Research UK, regular physical exercise helps in reducing the risk of all types of cancers. Exercise lowers blood estrogen and thus lowers risk of breast cancer in women. Studies suggest physically active individuals had a 24% lower risk of colon cancer than those who were the least physically active.
- Relieves Osteoarthritis : Just like our muscles strengthen with exercise, so do our bones. In those with osteoarthritis problem or joint pain, regular exercise can reduce bone damage and improve day to day functions. So don’t stop, just choose the right exercises with the help of experts and keep going. Weight-bearing physical activity (Strength Training) can reduce the loss of bone mass associated with age. Resistance training helps with osteoporosis because it strengthens muscle & builds bone. It also reduces the risk of fractures.
- Uniform Fat Distribution : Inactivity contributes to the development of obesity. Lack of physical activity practically affects body fat distribution. This leads to weight gain as we take in more energy than we expend. Regular workout boosts your metabolism (BMR) which helps in fat loss and achieving Ideal Body Composition. So or body needs to expend excess energy we consume daily to maintain a normal and healthy weight. And the answer to this is exercise!
- Improves Insulin Sensitivity : Exercise makes it easier to control diabetes. Exercise causes contraction of muscle cells enabling them to take up glucose during and after exercise. Another way it helps is by increasing insulin sensitivity.
- Enhances Mood : Exercise improves our mood by reducing anxiety, depression. It gives a feel-good factor that boosts self-esteem and cognitive function. It also improves memory, helps you sleep better, and boosts overall mood. Exercise releases happy hormones, so whenever you feel low or are having a bad day, adopt this simple universal solution.
I hope I have given you enough reasons to get going now! Get started with it and watch the wonders it does to your health.